Monday 23 November 2009

The Party Post

Photograph by Daniel Barnett


   Always wear something interesting to a party, even when it's a costume. Parties are a dime a dozen for the average social animal, so don't count on the atmosphere, guests and copious alcohol consumption to make it memorable (especially the last one, unless your braincells happen to be of singularly resilient genetic stock)

   The most "young" party-friendly piece I own is the tailored tracksuit-derived jacket from Junya Watanabe Man S/S 07, which, perhaps too literally, puts the "sport" in "sportjacket." At least a third of its brilliance rests in the fact that it's publicly unwearable beyond flamboyant social occasions and the occasional "Go to Hell" day. Another third is that the construction is absolutely amazing, showing off an array of decorative stitches and nylon strips set on top of practically seamless patching and shaping. It looks utterly insane... and it's nevertheless an utter dream to wear, even moreso than the more subtle trenchcoat I wear from the same collection. It pairs well with rollnecks, with bowties, with scarves and very judiciously selected neckties

   Despite being my second choice for the Psychedelic 60s party I swaggered about at recently, as displayed above, it proved a hit where accuracy was concerned (I aimed to channel a fusion of Jimi Hendrix and The Who's Pete Townshend, though suffice to say, a combination of Nutter's and Mr. Fish was my ideal. It helps to actually own such things first)

(Author's note: the hat was acquired at a party; I awoke wearing it the next morning and I never saw its previous owner again. I do hope she's not missing it much, six years down the line)

   As for more traditional, and sedate, occasions, you cannot go wrong with the old black tie. If inclined, or required, to jazz it up, I find a patterned white scarf and a crushed velvet double breasted go a long way, even when everyone else at a "Black Tie With a Hint of Après-Ski" party is dressed more ostentatiously:


What do you like to wear to parties?

5 comments:

Checkmyblazer said...

I choose my blazer with jeans!

Syed said...

That Junya jacket is so beautiful! I am loving the colours and cut. Haha the hat is definitely questionable though, but it is certainly a party outfit! The second look is so on point though, love it. I have a Christmas dinner party coming up, and have decided to hunt down a red velvet bow tie, although one I can actually tie myself to get the puffiness right. Hope you've had a wonderful week so far :)

The Queen of Hearts said...

How amazing are you? While most men (who even care about fashion and/or style) are busy trying to look like Kanye West or an expensive heroin addict, you are completely coming from left field with tailored looks with flare -- retro but modern. I'm so excited for you! I'm bookmarking you so I can keep up with your looks. : )

Unlikely You said...

Ooh, those gray pants are hot, just look at the material and the way it creases like an expert. What's the label for it?

Barima said...

Each of your responses is highly appreciated, folks

DK, a self-tying velvet bow tie is something of a rarity, although my eyes are always peeled

Queen of Hearts, I believe in what the author Gay Talese once said in an interview - "I'm flamboyant in ways that are true to my heritage" - so I naturally failed at looking like a trend-chasing rapper or a rich junkie. Mind you, there are, I think, a couple of wealthy smackheads in "Glamourous" - while not a behaviour I condone, style can seemingly co-exist with some debilitating vices. Strange world

Your comments are amongst the kindest I've had so far and I'll also be keeping up with your site

Jyun, good to hear from you again. The trousers are Maison Martin Margiela, a label i'm only now starting to appreciate

ShareThis